“The Salad Turnip is a special veggie. It’s nothing like the classic turnip, actually. It’s soft enough, even when raw, to cut with a butter knife.” - Driftless Organics
A turnip isn't something you typically think to add to a salad. But salad turnips are the perfect size and texture to add an element of interest to your bowl of healthy greens!
Five Fun Facts
- Salad turnips are also called Japanese or Hakurei turnips.
- Turnips are a root vegetable and are related to the mustard family.
- Turnips can be eaten by both humans and cattle.
- During WW2, the wheat shortage made people turn to turnip flour for making bread.
- The Irish carved turnips into jack-o-lanterns rather than pumpkins.
Salad turnips are a good source of:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
Salad turnip greens are a good source of:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
- Provitamin A
Salad turnips may be beneficial in the following ways:
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Enhances heart health
- Increases bone strength
- Maintaining vision
- Improves circulation
- Boosts immune system
- Promotes regularity
- Fights cancer
- It’s unusual to be allergic to turnips. However, if you develop hives, itching, or swelling after eating turnips, consult a doctor.
- As a high fiber food, turnips may cause gas. Increase your intake of high-fiber foods slowly and drink plenty of water.
- Those with thyroid conditions should not eat more than two servings of turnips a day, and should have them cooked rather than raw.
Maple Pecan Vinaigrette Salad with Japanese Salad Turnips - Vegan, Gluten-Free
Braised Salad Turnips - Vegetarian, Low-Calorie, Gluten-Free
Roasted Salad Turnips - Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
Maple Glazed Salad Turnips and Carrots - Gluten-Free
Easy Salad Turnip Gratin - Vegetarian, Gluten-Free
For the Kids and Kids-at-Heart
Download this activity sheet to create some celery stick people!
Credits and thanks in addition to recipes and information linked above: Bioprepper.com; Draxe.com; Driftlessorganics.com; Justfunfacts.com; Healthdiaries.com; Healthline.com, Pixabay- enee Olmstead Photography.
Inclusion of a link does not imply WHF endorsement of all content at that link.