“When I pass a flowering zucchini plant in a garden, my heart skips a beat.” - Gwyneth Paltrow
Do you have fond memories of oh-so-many zucchini squashes in the garden? That's because it's so easy to grow. It's also very versatile!
Five Fun Facts
- Zucchini is the only fruit that begins with the letter Z. (Yes fruit, although it is generally treated as a vegetable.)
- 1 Medium zucchini has more potassium than a medium banana and its flowers are edible.
- The word zucchini means small gourd and is often referred to as a summer squash.
- It is known to be one of the easiest foods to grow and utilize in the kitchen because it is so versatile.
- The largest zucchini ever grown was in Ontario and was 8ft 3 inches making it taller than Michael Jordan!
Zucchini is a good source of:
- Vitamin A
Zucchini may be beneficial in the following ways:
- Providing a large variety of important nutrients and high in antioxidants.
- Contributing to healthy digestion due to the large amounts of water and fiber.
- Reducing risk of Type 2 Diabetes by lowering blood sugar and increasing insulin sensitivity.
- Preventing heart disease by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Helping to strengthen your vision lowering your risk of age-related vision problems.
- Benefiting bone, thyroid, and prostate health.
Allergies from zucchini are surprisingly common and symptoms can include nausea and diarrhea.
Suggested RecipesZucchini Bread with Lemon Honey Butter
Zucchini and Basil Soup
For the Kids and Kids-at-Heart
Download this activity sheet to Spot the Difference in the Zucchini!
Credits and thanks in addition to recipes and information linked above: Azquotes.com; Foodnetwork.com; Freshcityfarms.com; Healthline.com; Pixabay.com; Webmd.com
Inclusion of a link does not imply WHF endorsement of all content at that link.