“Lettuce is like conversation; it must be fresh and crisp, so sparkling that you scarcely notice the bitter in it.” - Charles Dudley Warner
The foundation for many salads and other dishes, lettuce has been a staple for generations. Varieties such as red/green oak leaf only add to the discovery of flavor and crunch.
Five Fun Facts
- A group of scientists in Spain found Red Oak Leaves to have the highest antioxidant activity out of Iceberg, Romain, Continental, and Lollo Rosso Lettuce.
- Red/Green oak leaf lettuce contain zero fat and zero cholesterol and are a crucial part of flu prevention diets.
- The leaves begin to lose their nutritional value immediately after harvest and the outer leaves have more nutritional value than the inner leaves
- If you store lettuce near fruits that produce ethylene gases (like apples) it can speed up spoilage of the leaves.
- If you use an oil-based salad dressing it will help make the fat-soluble carotenoids more available to your body.
Nutrition InfoRed/Green Oak Leaves are a good source of:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Dietary Fiber
BenefitsRed/Green Oak Leaves may be beneficial in the following ways:
- Lowers Cholesterol absorption
- Provides exceptionally high amounts of flavonoids and antioxidants
- Good Eye health.
- Reducing the risk of frequent colds and infections
- Reduces Inflammation
- Reducing the risk of chronic disease.
- Helps to protect veins from rupture or leakage.
- Helps boost healing.
Allergies from Red or Green Oak Leaves are uncommon, but can pose the same challenges as a grass allergy would present.
Can be linked to grass allergies and if allergic can cause irritation.
“True to its name, the individual leaves of oakleaf lettuce are deeply lobed and shaped like the leaves of oak trees.” - Johnny Seeds
Suggested RecipesRed Oak Leaf Lettuce with Apples, Walnuts & Gorgonzola Dressing
Peach and Oak Leaf Lettuce Salad with Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette
Salmon and red oak leaf salad
Red Leaf Lettuce Salad with Sweet-and-Sour Dressing
For the Kids and Kids-at-Heart
Download this activity sheet to play Greens Bingo!
Credits and thanks in addition to recipes and information linked above: Brainyquote.com; Cals.arizona.edu; Healthline.com; Johnnyseeds.com; Yummly.com Inclusion of a link does not imply WHF endorsement of all content at that link.