It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato. - Lewis Grizzard
Is there anything better than a fresh, ripe tomato? They are so versatile too! Here at Whitehurst Farm, we love to provide a variety of tomatoes during the season, which generally runs May through October. We offer:
- Beefsteak Heirloom
- Red and Yellow
- Early Girl
- Lemon Boy
Here is a handy chart sharing details of many varieties!
Five Fun Facts
- You can’t find mention of a tomato in the works of Shakespeare or in the Bible.
- Tomatoes come in a variety of colors including red, yellow, and purple.
- Tomatoes are fruits, but are often considered vegetables. (Either way, they are nutritious!)
- Spain holds an annual festival where people throw tomatoes at each other!
- Tomato juice is the state drink of Ohio.
Nutrition InfoTomatoes are a good source of:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin A
- Water (they are made up of over 90% water)
BenefitsTomatoes may be beneficial in the following ways:
- Reducing risk of heart disease or cancer
- Helping with tissue growth and cell function
- Helpful for pregnant women
- Benefiting blood clotting and bone health
- Fighting inflammation
- Lowering blood pressure
Some people may benefit from avoiding nightshades like tomatoes and potatoes, at least for periods of time. This depends on your own bio-individuality and food sensitivities/allergies.
Suggested Recipes and the Tomatoes Varieties that Work Well with Them
- My Best Tomato Sandwich - best with slicing tomatoes such as our Beefsteak Heirlooms but you can also use many other varieties such as what is listed here.
- Caprese Salad - vine ripe or Roma tomatoes work well with this
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce - use whatever tomatoes you like, but many people use varieties like Roma, Amish paste, or vine-ripened.
- Simple Homemade Tomato Soup - this recipe recommends San Marzano but you can also use any of the tomatoes we offer. Experiment for the taste you like!
- Bruschetta - use whatever tomatoes you have on hand!
For the Kids and Kids-at-Heart
Download this word find to have some fun with tomatoes!
Tomato Varieties Word Find
Credits and thanks in addition to recipes and information linked above: Audreychristie.com, Brainyquote.com, Factslegend.org, Food Network, Healthline.com, HGTV, Naturefresh.ca, Quickcrop.ie, Thewordsearch.com
Tomato photo courtesy of Vintage Falls Farm and Forage. Inclusion of a link does not imply WHF endorsement of all content at that link.